Hours & Contact Information
New-York Historical is temporarily closed to the public to help contain the spread of COVID-19. On September 11, the Museum and Library will reopen indoors, with safety protocols in place for visitors and staff. Check back here for further updates.
In the meantime, we encourage you to stay connected with us online and explore all of our digital content. We'll be offering curated content on our weekly eblast, so sign up to receive it if you haven’t yet!
Regular Hours (as of Sept. 11):
By appointment only during the hours below—details to be announced soon
Thursday and Friday: 10 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday: 10:30 am – 4:30 pm
Please be sure to periodically check this page for changes and additions. You may also email at email@example.com or call ahead at (212) 485-9225 for the latest information before making a trip into New York City to use the Klingenstein Library.
Small portions of the Library’s Printed Collections and Manuscript Collections are now stored offsite. Any item with the designation of “Offsite” on a catalog record may be requested for onsite use in the Library’s reading room. Please keep in mind that it will take between two (2) and five (5) business days for collections to arrive, and you should plan your research accordingly.
Digital Collections are always available for research remotely at digitalcollections.nyhistory.org.
Temporary Policies (as of Sept. 11)
In order to protect the health of staff and researchers, the Patricia D. Klingenstein Library has implemented the following temporary policies. Please note that the Library’s security and handling policies are still in effect.
- The Library will reopen to researchers on Friday, September 11, 2020.
- Research will be by appointment only, with a limited number of seats available daily.
- The Library will begin scheduling appointments the week of August 24. Check back here for more details.
- Appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance, and will only be made for researchers who have identified specific materials they wish to consult.
- All researchers must check in at the Visitor Services desk on the first floor before proceeding to the Library’s reading room.
- Masks must be worn at all times in the reading room and social distance maintained. Masks and hand sanitizer will be available in the reading room.
- All visitors to the reading room must abide by the Library’s security and handling guidelines.
Your care and support help us to maintain our collections for future generations. Thank you for your cooperation.
Reproductions and Photocopying
The library encourages researchers to use hand held cameras to capture images of library collections for later reference. All photography must be done in accordance with the library's photography guidelines. All photocopying is done by the library staff. The charge for letter and legal size copies is 50 cents. Ledger size copies are $1.00. There is a limit of twenty photocopies per person per day (not including prints from microfilm), and no photocopying is done after 4:00 pm. Copying from microfilm is self-serve, at the cost of 35 cents per page. Photocopies made by the library as well as photographs taken by researchers are intended for reference purposes only and may not be reproduced or sold in any form. Those desiring photographic reproductions of library materials or permission to reproduce such images should contact the Department of Rights & Reproductions directly.